MoxieReader’s mission is to help students in K-8 read more. We are thrilled by educators and parents who trust us to help them share the love of reading. We are committed to keeping your trust through providing a robust privacy and safety environment.
- What we information we collect and why
- How we use and share the information we collect
- How you can access, update and delete that information
This policy applies to all products and services offered by Moxie Methods, Inc. (“MoxieReader,” “us,” “we,” “our” and our affiliates).
Last Revised: April 10, 2017
1. Our Commitment to Privacy
Personal information is information you provide to us that personally identifies you.
2. Information Collected from Children and Educators
2a) Personal Information
We collect the following information from your students:
i) Username (created by the teacher usually child first name)
ii) Reading level
iii) Reading history
iv) Application activity
We collect the following information from Teachers:
ii) Teacher Name
iv) School and District
v) Application activity
We do not collect any further personal information for children.
We do not disclose any personal information about children to third parties, except to service providers necessary to provide the Service, as required by law, or to protect the security of the Service or other users.
Information collected is never used or disclosed for third party advertising, and children's personal information is never sold or rented to anyone, including marketers or advertisers.
2b) We also collect Internet Protocol (“IP”) addresses from all our Users. The IP Address is recorded automatically each time the User views a page of our Service.
Once we receive your registration, we will create an account (“Account”) for you and we will e-mail you a link to activate your Account. Once you access the link, you will be asked to enter a password and accept these TOS. Once you complete activation, and you will be able to create your class in MoxieReader.
2c) Control of Personal Information
We enable teachers to override, correct, delete the information relating to a student in their class or themselves.
2d) Information visible to others
MoxieReader does not make any personal information available or visible to the public. There is no open version of the app. Access to the app requires the teacher to log in. Teachers enable student log in.
Within the App there are two modes
1) Teacher Mode
2) Classroom/Student Mode
When a teacher uses the application in teacher view she or he can see the reading level, reading history and app activity of her or his class of students. The teacher cannot see students in other classes or other classes’ activity; other teachers cannot see the teacher’s students or class activity.
When the app is in classroom/student mode, students use the app within the class to log books they have read and to select new books to read. To earn points (MoxiePoints), students can recommend a book to a student in their reading group or give the book a “like” on a book they have competed. There are no open text responses available to students.
Just as in a classroom, students may see which books their reading group peers have read and offer positive support for them.
2e) Other Information
We automatically track and collect certain non-personal information such as book selection data. We use this information to do internal research on our book recommendation engine, and to help students select that “just right” book.
If you send us personal correspondence, such as emails or letters, or if other users or third parties send us correspondence about your activities or postings on our Website, we may store such information in our servers.
2f) Three-Tier Student Data Protection Policy
We keep a child’s information only as long as an account is active, unless we are required by law to retain it, to ensure security or to enforce our Terms. Our Three-Tier Policy:
1) Keep only a minimum of data: We outlined the minimal data we collect; there is no facility within the app for students to provide us personal identifiable information.
2) Manual Deletions: Teachers can delete and request specific deletions of information such as books read, encouragements given, and book selections.
3) Automatic Deletions: After an account has been inactive for 18 months we will delete the Account including username and reading level. Reading history uses in class reports and improved recommendations is maintained to enable the teacher to have a history to review and to provide students with “just right” book recommendations.
3. How the Information is Used
We treat all Information according to New York and U.S. law.
We use your Information as follows:
We use your Information in order to troubleshoot problems; help customize your experience; detect and protect us against error, fraud and other criminal activity; enforce our TOS; and as otherwise described to you at the time of collection. We may compare and review your Information for errors, omissions and for accuracy.
We may use your Information in order to provide benchmark analysis and aggregate statistics. This particular Information will be anonymized, will not contain personal identification and will not be transferred or sold to third parties in any way or format that identifies you.
We use navigation and app analytics data to operate and improve the Service.
We collect IP Addresses to track when you use our Service. We use IP Addresses to monitor the regions from which you navigate and sign-up to use our Services.
To help provide the MoxieReader service we need to get some help from other service providers. We many need to share information including personal information to them to help profile these business functions - for example, maintaining our database storage or sending e-mails to teachers. Please email us for a list of the third parties we work with at email@example.com. Generally there services are not allowed to use personal information and we don’t provide it unless it is necessary to provide the service.
We may share aggregated, non-personally identifiable information with partners and press to provide information on the service’s usage, effectiveness, growth, or to make our own marketing materials.
4. How your Information is Protected
We are parents and educators also, and we understand the importance of protecting your personal information.
- We have a Secure Administrative access system where only designated staff can access the servers where you data is held and backups are likewise managed. We maintain best practice security implementation to prevent any accidental or malicious access to personal information.
- We do not tolerate Spam. To report MoxieReader-related spam, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- MoxieReader does its utmost to secure communications and data storage in order to protect confidentiality against loss and interception by third parties. However, it is important to know that there is no zero-risk against loss or interception by others. You are responsible for maintaining the security and confidentiality of your Account’s username and password.
MoxieReader does not ask for your students’ full names, and the teacher is free to enter any label for the student which works in their classroom to identify students. This helps protect the anonymity of students in the unlikely event of data being accessed.
5. How the Information is Stored
6. Cookies Policy
7. Legal Requests
We cooperate with law enforcement authorities, as well as with other third parties, to enforce laws, intellectual property rights and to prevent fraud. In response to a verified request by law enforcement or other government officials relating to a criminal investigation or alleged illegal activity, we can, and you authorize us to, disclose your name, e-mail address and Service use history, with or without a subpoena. Without limiting the above, we will not disclose your Information to any law enforcement or other governmental officials without a subpoena or court order, except when we believe in good faith that the disclosure of information is necessary to protect our rights, enforce our policies, respond to claims that your use of our Services violates MoxieReader policies or rights or others, or protect anyone’s rights, property or safety.